At one stage, some of my friends from overseas asked me where's the best places to go within Sydney area. I gave them a list of suggestions and with corresponding places and carpark addresses. Some of these places include my favourite spots for my outdoor photography sessions. This could also be helpful to you. Here's my list;
1. Darling Harbour Stroll/Sydney Aquarium/Pyrmont Bridge/Maritime Museum/Fusion Lunch Cruises(Buffet)/ Nick's Restaurant/Chinese Gardens at Tumbalong Park
Parking Option 1: (Sun Parking, basement of Westpac Building =entrance @278 Kent St, Sydney or @ entrace at 48 Sussex Street, Sydney). This is 2 mins walk to the Wharf and 5mins walk to Sydney Aquarium
Parking option 2: Sydney Entertainment Center Parking. entrance @ 35 Harbour St Darling Harbour New South Wales. 2mins walk to Darling Harbour/McDonalds & IMAX.
2. Bradfield Park @ 1 Olympic Drive Milsons Point, Sydney NSW, Australia. Also a best location to capture the Sydney Opera House at dusk and night time. You can spread a picnic rug right under the bridge and enjoy the sea breeze. You're also facing the best angle of the opera house with its amazing lights at night. Bring a tripod to capture best photos. Recently introduced the "Park & Go" system. No more displaying of parking tickets in your dashboard. But simply go to parking machine in every street near/under the bridge. Enter your Bay Number(where you stop & park), enter payment using debit/credit card, notes/coins depending on how long you intend to stay.
3. Featherdale Wildlife Park @ 236 Kildare Road, Doonside, New South Wales. Free Parking right in front or opposite side of the road.You'll see animals at closest possible distance.
4. Bondi Beach. I love to park near 118 Ramsgate Avenue, North Bondi New South Wales, Australia if you only intend to stay for an hour or two. Although, there's a lot of parking options nearby.
5. Star City (Garden Buffet is eat-all-you-can) @ 80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont NSW 2009. Parking @ basement of Star City. If you want to rest, you can check-in at Star City's furnished apartments at a reasonable price.
6. Sydney Tower Eye & SkyWalk. At the top of Westfield Center Point. http://www.sydneytowereye.com.au/
7. Sydney Aquatic Centre or Sydney Olympic Park http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/#content-main Parking @ Shane Gould Avenue, Sydney, Australia. best pace to have a picnic and swim even during winter. The water is always warm.
8. Taronga Zoo @ Bradleys Head Road, Mosman, New South Wales, Australia. To meet large animals and birds of the world. You can also see a panoramic view of the city(Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge).
9. Mrs Macquaries Chair @ 2 Mrs Macquarie Road, Sydney NSW, Australia(metered street parking)
The other option if you're a brisk walker, you can walk from Sydney Opera House around Farm Cove, along Royal(Sydney) Botanic Gardens to have a good view of both the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. For avid photographers, this is simply the best spot, especially from dusk to night time.
10. Blues Point Reserve @ corner Blues Point and Henry Lawson Road, McMahons Point, NSW, Australia.This place gives a nice panoramic view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge with the Sydney Opera House seen through below the bridge. A destination that most tourists shouldn't miss.
11. Sydney Observatory @ Watson Road, The Rocks, New South Wales. Will give an excellent view of the city while interacting with nature.
12. Sydney Opera House at 1 Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 2000 (02) 8274 9600(underground car park available, if catching the train, get off Circular Quay Railway Station, I used to get off at Wynyard Train Station and walk down along George Street, heading off to The Rocks). Other attractions nearby: Sydney Botanical Gardens, The Government House, The Art Gallery, The Rocks, The Dawes Point Park, First Fleet Park, Museum of Contemporary Art and hotels/restaurants(facing the Opera House)
13. Hunter Valley Gardens @ 2090 Broke Road, Pokolbin NSW, Australia. The Wine capital of Australia.(near to large parking area, restaurants and souvenir shops). The gardens is magnificent and home of grandest weddings. You can visit @ http://www.huntervalleygardens.com.au
14. Port Stephens of Newcastle
14.1 Albora Marina @ 10 Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315(ATMs, restaurants and cruises)
14.2 Shoal Beach @ 6 Shoal Bay Road, Shoal Bay New South Wales, Australia.
14.3 Fingal Bay @ 5 Marine Drive, Fingal Bay New South Wales, Australia.
14.4 Anna Bay @ 51 James Paterson Street, Anna Bay, NSW
14.5 George Reserve @ 168 Soldiers Point Road, Salamander Bay, NSW(picnic, BBQ, kids playground, by the beach).
14.6 Everitt Park @ 6 Mitchell Street, Soldiers Point, NSW(picnic, bird watching)
14.7 The Point Restaurant @ Ridgeway Avenue, Soldiers Point, NSW(when you're hungry)
14.8. Nelson Bay LightHouse @ 1 Lighthouse Road, Nelson Bay New South Wales, Australia.
15. Somersby Falls at Somersby Falls Road, Somersby, NSW, Australia. Make sure to bring extra clothes(swimming clothes) in case you'll get wet. There's a picnic area and it's part of Brisbane Water National Park(ideal for bushwalking too).
There are other scenic spots you can still go, but these are just simply my highlight list.
May you have a great Sydney stay!